Friday, February 19, 2010

Haiti: UN launches largest-ever appeal for natural disaster

The massive earthquake in Haiti last month caused some of the worst damages following a natural disaster. This extreme quake has resulted in the need of the largest appeal ever following a natural disaster. The $1.5 billion will go to the need of the people living in Haiti with such things as education, emergency shelter, telecommunications, agriculture, and health and nutrition.

I think this appeal is extremely important and a very good thing. The money is needed unbelievably to help out Haiti in its recovery. I am in very much support of this appeal because of how much it is needed. I like the idea of this whole appeal because it is coming from the UN so it is a combination of countries supporting the cause. I believe the U.S. has helped out extremely by sending troops there and many volunteers and other support such as supplies, food, water, and various education supplies. Many times when the U.S. supports another country is after a war or something and a lot of the times I am not in support of it because the country does not always deserve the aid. In this situation, though, I am giving all my support because there was nothing that could have prevented this earthquake. It was all natural and I believe that Haiti deserves all the support that everyone and anyone can give.

More information at:
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=33815&Cr=haiti&Cr1=

No comments:

Post a Comment